The Airtel Delhi Half Marathon is just around the corner, and lots of people are training for it. Here are some simple running tips:
Relax your muscles: Keep your jaw loose, keep your shoulders down and occasionally shake out your hands and arms to stay relaxed. While running, your body goes under stress, so its natural for your jaw to tighten up, for your shoulders to scrunch up, and other such stress reactions.
So, consciously keep the stress out of your body, and see yourself improve running form, and run faster & efficiently.
Wear good & big: running shoes: Buy running shoes that are slightly longer and wider than your feet. When you run, your feet expand, and they need the space. So, be nice to your feet, if you want to run well.
Keep it loose: Don’t clench your fists too tightly while running. Keep it like a cupped hand, as if you were holding an egg in each palm, that you don’t intend to crush. It will help keep your body relaxed, and improve performance.
No time, no problem: If 20 minutes is all you have, still run. 20 minutes of running is better than not running at all.
Run against the flow: Running against the flow of traffic keeps you in command. This is specially important in India, where there are plenty of hazards while running. See running tips & hazards in India.
Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate: Water is the lifeline of any process in your body. So, when it starts running low, it diverts water to only the important processes, and physical work (in this case, running) is not as important as digestion, blood flow, etc. So, less than optimum hydration will affect your performance, besides increasing the risk of muscle cramps. So, at all times be completely hydrated.
Only the right liquids: Hydrates with water. Alcohol is not your friend, when you’re trying to improve running performance. Beyond affecting fitness levels, alcohol has its share of side effects.
Look at the big picture
“Whether one shall run on his heels or his toes is hardly worth discussing. The main thing in distance running is endurance—and how to get it.”
Lace it up: Make sure your shoes laces are double knotted. While running long distances, laces often get un-tied, so make sure you double knot them. Further, the loose ends of your laces can be inserted in & around your shoes, to avoid them ever coming in the way.
And last but not the least, relax when your body feels tired and sluggish
1. Hydrate: This cannot be stressed more, but you need to ensure you are well hydrated. Drink 1/2 litre of water before you run. Do this 20 minutes before you actually run, so its not weighing you down.
After you finish your run, get a drink that replenishes you- get a salt and sweet fresh lime soda- gives you electrolytes, vitamins, water and some carbohydrates to help your muscles recover.
More tips below..
2. Sweat wicking clothes: These clothes help keep your skin dry, so its easier to run. Cotton clothing absorbs and holds moisture, so it weighs you down and sticks to your skin. Sweat wicking clothes available in stores- big brands as well as non-branded. Get yourself some!
3. Sunscreen: Wear it and protect yourself from the sun! For the Indian skin, SPF 15 sunscreen lotion should be good.
4. Sports Drinks: For advanced runners- if you’re going to run over 45 minutes, carry a sports drink with you- for replenishing carbs and provide hydration
5. No Brainer: But you should try to run in the evening or early morning. Early morning is a little better, since the ground is a little cooler than the evening.
Need a place to run in Delhi? Here’s a list- Siri Fort Sports Complex Running, Running Track- Jahanpanah City Forest, Running at Lodhi Garden, Hauz Khas Deer Park Running routes. These are all in South Delhi and Central Delhi.