Low Calorie Cocktails
Its the time to party. So to help you party in style and sensibly, we’ve compiled a list of some low calorie cocktails. Before we get to that, check out the list of the highest calorie alcoholic drinks, and some low calorie drinks.
Now, for the list of low calorie cocktails… (more…)— this article is written by a dietitian @ FitHo
5 Unhealthiest Cocktail Drinks
Some cocktails are delicious, but many of those alcoholic drinks (and mocktails) are calorie loaded. Besides the alcohol, they are also loaded with sugar filled mixes. So, here’s our list of the 5 highest calorie cocktails, with the unhealthiest first …
1. The Long Island Iced Tea: We’ve all had these, but see what goes in: 1 part vodka, 1 part tequila, 1 part rum, 1 part gin, 1 part triple sec, 1.5 parts sweet & sour mix and a splash of Coke (The liquor should equal 2-3 total shots)! If the alcohol didn’t have enough calories, all the mixers are completely sugar and calorie loaded! Many of LIIT servings can be upto 780 calories! That’s almost 1/3 of your daily calorie intake. So, in 3 LITs, you would’ve added 1 whole day’s calories!
2. Margarita: On a hot day, a Margarita is tempting, but check the contents: 4 oz tequila, 4 oz limeade, 1/3 ounce triple sec. Plenty of liquor calories and the limeade is usually a sugar loaded premix. Margaritas are served in large glasses, and each can be upto 740 calories!
3. Pina Colada: This popular beach drink has 3 oz light rum, 3 tbsp coconut milk, 3 tbsp crushed pineapples, or a pineapple flavored premix, which is almost purely sugar. This cocktail measure in at 640 calories.
4. White Russian: Great drink contains 2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liquer and 1.5 oz heavy cream. This smooth cocktail is best had when you’re in Russia, where you’ll need the 425 calories from each serving to keep you warm! Besides sugar, this drink also contains fat!
Read on to see the last of the unhealthiest alcoholic drinks!
5. Mai Tai: Tastes like dessert and calorie loaded like dessert. At 350 calories, this cocktail has 1 oz light rum, 1/2 oz dark rum, 1/2 oz creme de almond, 1/2 oz triple sec, sweet and sour mix, pineapple juice.
Similarly, you should avoid chocolate liquor loaded drinks, or dessert drinks like creme brulee cocktails Also, watch out for those large pegs (‘patiala’ pegs).. that’s a double serving of alcohol, and thus double the calories!
Did you know that besides fat storage in your body, alcohol consumption can promote female hormone production in men and lead to male breasts.— this article is written by a dietitian @ FitHo
Low Sugar Calorie Alcoholic Drinks
Most of you know that alcoholic drinks contain loads of calories and alcohol promotes fat storage in the body. If you didn’t, now you do. But we still enjoy a few drinks. Like food, not all drinks are equally bad. There are some lower calorie options. So watch what you drink at the bar, and it could be less damaging to your waistline. Below is a list of alcoholic drinks that are low calorie and low sugar as well. They are all around 100 calories:
1. Champagne, Red Wine: Per glass, both these drinks contain less than a 100 calories.
2. Diet Lime Vodka: A 30 ml shot of vodka, with diet lime soda and a splash of lime.
3. Gin & Tonic: This classic drink is also low on calories. Better yet, if its diet Tonic.
4. Diet Cuba Libre: A 30 ml shot of rum, a splash of lime and top off with diet cola.
Some popular drinks that are loaded with calories are: Long Island Iced Tea, White Russian, Pina Colada. Basically, all large servings of alcohol mixed with sugary juices, cream, liqueurs, etc can bust your weight loss plans.
So, next time you order that drink at the bar, order smart. Watch out for our next part- strategy on low calorie bar drinking!