Lifting Heavy Weights Help to Gain Weight
Question / Dilemma: I’m working out every day of the week. As is the belief, will doing more weights help me gain faster?
Answer: First of all, you have taken the right approach by going for weight training, but there are certain things that you should keep in mind as you strive to reach your fitness goals. Since you want to be healthier and add to your weight, weight training is definitely the best approach. But, you should not be doing it daily. Don’t go for weights on an everyday basis, limit your regimen and go for the workout not more than 3 to 4 days a week. Also, if you are focusing on doing weights in the gym, you need to balance by limiting your cardio. Make heavier weights your focus. However, don’t start by exercising with really heavy weights – start small and aim big. Fewer repetitions and heavier weights is thus your basic goal.
Answered by Prachi Agarwal, first
appeared in HT City (Hindustan Times), Get Healthy Delhi! campaign, where she is a Fitness Expert on the panel of health experts.— this article is written by a dietitian @ FitHo
All Fatty Foods are Not Good to Gain Weight
Question / Dilemma: I was wondering since I am aiming to put on a few kilos, are all fatty food good for me?
Answer: Just because you want to gain a few kilos, it doesn’t mean that you can gorge on anything that’s fatty, say for instance a plate of samosas or deep-fried Puris. You don’t want to gain unhealthy fat, for you? To gain healthy weight, the right nutrition at the right time is what matters.
For example, your post workout snack should be low fat and have a carbohydrate to protein ratio of 2:1. The carbs proportion is higher because your muscle’s glycogen stores are depleted and to repair them, you supply them with fast dissolving carbohydrates. If you have a high fat meal, it slows down the digestion process, and the nutrients that your muscles need are not absorbed by your body, which in turn inhibits muscle growth.
Answered by Prachi Agarwal, first appeared in HT City (Hindustan Times), Get Healthy Delhi! campaign, where she is a Fitness Expert on the panel of health experts.— this article is written by a dietitian @ FitHo
Weight Gain Diet
The most easily available option for a person trying to gain weight are supplements. Some of us are skeptical about adding them to the diet as the health consequences of these products have never been explained by anyone. Most of these weight gain supplements are heavily promoted but no one can for sure say what are the actual ingredientsand what will be the health repercussions in the long run.
Why would you want to experiment with your health? Instead try a healthy weight gain diet to gain healthy weight. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to know more about a healthy weight gain diet or check out our free weight loss plan at Fitho’s weight gain diet.
Here are few tips to help you get started on a healthy weight gain program.
Tips for Gaining Weight
• The weight gain diet should be nutritionally balanced. Focus on quality of food being consumed.
• Small frequent meals should be taken i.e., 5-6 times in a day (3 larger meals and 3 smaller meals alternately. A gap of at least 3 hours should be there so that the body can digest each meal fully.
• Never skip the breakfast from the meal as this is the most important meal of the day.
• Eat protein because gaining weight demands for amino acids which are derived from the protein. Good sources of protein are- whey, fish, dairy products, meat, nuts and seeds (almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, seasam seeds, sunflower seeds), pulses, etc.
• Avoid caffeine and nicotine to help the body retain maximum nutritional value from what one eats. (more…)— this article is written by a dietitian @ FitHo