Stress Management with Food
Studies have correlated strong connection between food and stress. As we get busy and stressed, we tend to make poor nutritional choices which puts your body under further stress. Stress increases cellular activity and reduces the effectiveness of the digestive system leading to nutritional deficiencies and therefore a diet of nutrient dense foods needs to be followed.
So, a balanced diet is not only essential for maintaining overall good health, but can also affect your capacity to cope up stress. The key nutrients for combating stress are those that aid the adrenal glands, such as Magnesium all the B vitamins, in particular, Vitamin B5, Vitamin C, vitamin E and coenzyme Q10. So here are some tips for getting good nutrition and maintaining a more healthy diet, even under stress:
- Fresh vegetable juices particularly green juices containing chlorophyl and homemade soups are ideal as well as alfalfa, garlic and ginger to support the immune system.
- Chamoline tea/green tea is revitalizing and detoxifying and helps to boost the immune system.
- Many herbs are also beneficial for stress. These include tulsi, triphala, ginger, ashwagandha, ginseng and amla. You can add some of them to your daily tea.
- If you are under prolonged stress or are at risk for hypertension, consume foods high in potassium, such as orange juice, squash, potatoes, apricots, limes, bananas, avocados, tomatoes, and peaches. You also should increase your intake of calcium, which is found in yogurt, cheese, tofu, and chick- peas.
- Try and eat raw food as much as possible as they are rich in flavanoids as they help to counteract stress.
- Keep yourself dehydrated
- Try not to skip lunch and if you do not have the time to eat then always keep a packet of channa roasted namkeens in the office or car to munch something in between, even a fruit chat or packed curd is welcomed.
- For people with a sweet tooth, keep rasgulla or sandesh at home or just mix fruits, raisin and curd for a nourishing healthy dessert. So indulge in healthy sweets as it helps to reduce stress.
- Regular physical exercise also plays an important role in the fight against stress
Despite the best advice, most people under stress neglect food. So take charge of your condition and act wisely.Author Information
Are Dried Figs Healthy for Weight Loss
Healthy Food For Kids | Healthy Food For Children
Do you use the correct cooking method?
Are you Indian? Careful about diabetes and hypertension
Lose Weight and Stop Snoring
Best Foods to Fight Depression
Look Hot & Stay Fit this Summer
5 Nutrition Packed Vegetables
10 Eating tips to reduce weight & lose fat
Diabetes and Exercise
Does Low Calorie Diet Work?
5 Fruits to Boost your Health