Side Effects of Weight Loss Diets
Before we get into side effects of weight loss diets, let us first define what is diet – “It is the foods eaten by a particular person”. Often, “diet” is assumed to be a low calorie diet to lose weight, etc. But it is not. Its simply what you eat. So, we are all on diets regardless of what we eat. What we use that diet to do is what classifies it – regular diet, weight loss diet, weight gain diet, etc.
Now, when most people decide that they have to get in better shape, often its about losing fat on the belly or hips/thighs. Now, everyone wants to lose weight fast. Regardless of how many months or years it took you to add the fat, everyone’s looking for a quick fix. Search for Weight Loss Diets and you find all sorts of diets. Now, the problem with diets on the internet, is that if you pick them up from just any site, there can be side effects of weight loss diets. There is no way for you to be sure that the diet is good for your health, or will help you lose weight.
Most people think that if your calorie intake is low enough, then you are bound to lose weight, i.e. Weight Loss = Less Calories in & More Calories out. Sure that sounds right but its not as simple. You might lose weight by that way, but you might land up losing is a lot of muscle instead of fat. With less muscle in your body, your body stores more fat. What you need to ensure that you’re losing the right kind of weight, which is fat. Know whether to lose fat or lose weight?
The following are major side effects of various weight loss diets:
- Crash dieting or significantly lowering your calorie intake, is an unhealthy way to attempt weight loss. Since your diet reduces drastically, you are perpetually hungry and thus unsatisfied and this makes people moody, short tempered.
- If your diet has inadequate carbohydrates, it will cause ketosis. If it has inadequate protein, it will create muscle catabolism and reduce your metabolic rate. If it has inadequate fat, it can affect a number of biological processes.
- You will also be low on energy. Since its an unhealthy diet, this can have significant side effects, including affecting your appearance. Its been known to cause dark circles, stretch marks, etc.
- Besides calorie intake, and the basic protein, carbohydrates and fat, your diet should include adequate water, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Another key factor is the timing of your food. You shouldn’t just skip a meal. Skipping meals actually puts your body in a mode where it reduces your metabolic rate (and hence burns fewer calories), eats muscle and starts storing fat. Consuming food at the right time is key for providing optimum nutrition to your body, and increase fat burn.
There are many well endorsed diets like the Atkins Diet and the GM Diet (General Motors Diet), which at Fitho we don’t use because we consider them unhealthy since they are not balanced diets. They have their share of side effects -
Atkins Diet: Because of no carbohydrate intake, lack of calcium and high saturated fat content, it is considered dangerous. Your body goes into ketosis resulting in bad breath, weakness, insomnia, constipation, etc
GM Diet: We don’t consider this diet to be balanced. There are claims of hair loss, etc. Drastic loss of weight is not due to fat loss, but due to water loss.
Diets have to be customized to your needs. At Fitho, we provide you diet plans that are customized to you, that you will enjoy, and produce results. See our weight loss success stories.
So the next time you think about losing weight, get advice from a fitness and nutrition expert and also understands you and your needs.Author Information
Health News: Grapes, Camel Milk, & more
Weight Loss Exercises for Women
Sample Weight Loss Plan
Improve Immunity with Exercise
Breakfast Options that are not so Healthy
Is milk harmful for your health?
Health Benefits of Yogurt
Weight Loss Tip: PreLoading
Lose Belly Fat through Dairy Products
Watch cricket, get a six pack
The Trick to Reach Your Weight Loss Goal
Calories Count – Home Cooked Indian Food