16 ways in which Bottle Gourd (Lauki) can help You get Healthier!
The bottle gourd a.k.a (calabash, opo squash) is a vine grown for its fruit; it can either be harvested in the young stage to be used as a vegetable or harvested in the mature stage, dried, and used as a bottle, utensil, or pipe.
The bottle gourd is yellowish –green in colour and usually in the shape of a bottle. The vegetable has a white pulp, with white seeds embedded in the spongy flesh. It is cultivated in the humid weather of Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, china, tropical Africa and South America. It is also locally known in many places as bottle squash, white gourd, trumpet gourd, lauki, doodhi, ghia and calabash gourd.
When the vegetable is taken in the cooked form or in a juice form, it has proved to have sedative and anti-bilious properties among others. It gives a feeling of relaxation after eating it. So consume bottle gourd in any form like cooked vegetables, sweets and juices.
Bottle Gourd calories
100 gm of bottle gourd contains 15 calories.
0.1gm fat in 100gm edible portion. It is comprised of 96% of water.
Low in Saturated Fat, and Cholesterol, High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Zinc, Thiamin, Iron, Magnesium and Manganese.
Why Bottle gourd should be included in your diet:
- Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber both soluble and insoluble. Hence it helps in curing constipation, flatulence and even piles. It is also easy to digest. Read about the importance of high fiber in your diet.
- It promotes weight loss, as it is full of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibers it keeps the body well-nourished and helps in curbing unnecessary appetite, especially if you drink its juice in the morning on an empty stomach. Learn about other metabolism boosting foods.
- It has very low content of fat and cholesterol. Read about cholesterol reducing foods.
- It consists of approximately 96% of water and is therefore a great thirst quencher. It also prevents fatigue and keeps the body cool and refreshed during summers. Read about weight loss tips for summer.
- Apart from the iron content it is also rich in vitamin B and vitamin C. Hence helps the body in its anti-oxidative actions. Read about more benefits of vitamin C.
- It also contains sodium, potassium, essential minerals and trace elements. Hence regulates the blood pressure and prevents the risk of any heart ailments. Read about more foods which helps lower high blood pressure.
- High in sodium and potassium, bottle gourd is also an excellent vegetable for hypertension patients.
- It is a suitable vegetable for light, low-calorie diets as well as for children, people with digestive problems, diabetics and convalescents. Read about the importance of a diabetes diet.
- It helps in treating urinary disorders, since it serves as an alkaline mixture for treating burning sensation in urinary passage, caused by high acidity of urine.
- Bottle gourd is recommended by ayurvedic physicians for balancing the liver function, when the liver is inflamed and cannot efficiently process food for maximum nutrition and assimilation. Read about the fat-flush diet for a healthy liver.
- The juice extracted from the leaves of bottle gourd is beneficial in jaundice.
- Drinking a glass of bottle gourd juice once in the early morning helps in treating grey hair.
- Mixing the juice with sesame oil provides an effective medicine for insomnia. Massage the scalp with this preparation every night. Read about the dangers of not getting enough sleep.
- Bottle gourd juice is very helpful in treating insanity, epilepsy, stomach acidity, indigestion, ulcers and other nervous diseases.
- The bitter variety of calabash gourd is considered as a cardiac tonic, an antidote for poisoning and a tonic for alleviating bronchitis, cough, asthma, and biligenic affections.
- A glass of bottle gourd juice, mixed with a little salt, helps in preventing excessive loss of sodium from the body.
Bottle gourd is a wonder vegetable that is curing people worldwide and more and more people are accepting it in their lifestyles after realizing the benefits achieved by its consumption.
Bottle gourd that has a bitter taste is particularly good for alleviating bronchitis and asthma. One gets a feeling of relaxation after consuming it because it is light and low calorie diet. An infusion of seeds cures chills and headaches. However, bottle gourd should not be eaten in a raw state as it may prove harmful for stomach and intestines
To maintain a good health and a good body one should adopt bottle gourd in their lifestyle, adopt it and feel a world of difference in your health. Hurry before it gets too late.
See more information on calories and nutrition of Gourd, White Flowered (Calabash), Raw.
Found that interesting? You might also find these helpful.
12 reasons why jack fruit is super healthy, Side effects of weight loss diets, Lemon water weight loss benefits, 5 so called health foods that aren’t exactly healthy.
- Articles, data, text, image or video content posted on this site is checked by the Fitho team of nutritionists & fitness experts, or by research/studies, and opinions are based on our wide experience in helping thousands of people get fit, lose weight & manage their health.