26 ways in which Muskmelon Builds your Health!
Musk melons are a powerhouse of health; they are loaded with so many nutrients that they almost seem like the superhero of fruits. They are abundantly available in the summers and have a super high percentage of water content in them making them cooling and hydrating. So as the summer approaches, know why you should eat more muskmelons. They not only have a delicious aroma but they also taste amazing. Their seeds contain many health benefits as well. This summer replace that extra mango with a muskmelon and see the healthy magic it creates.
Read about other healthy summer fruits.
The nutrition breakdown of 1 cup of musk melons is given below:
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Vitamin A||5,276 IU|
|Folic Acid||33 micrograms|
|Vitamin B6||<1 mg|
|Vitamin C||57 mg|
The Amazing health benefits of muskmelon are listed below:
- Controls blood pressure: Muskmelons are rich in potassium which helps in regulating the blood pressure and keeps hypertension at bay. Read about natural ways of reducing high blood pressure.
- Strengthens eyes: They have high doses of vitamin A and beta carotene in it, it helps sharpen the eye sight as well as reduce the risk of developing cataracts.
- Helps in weight loss: Musk melons have negligible fat content in them. They also contain the good carbohydrates derived from sugars which are easily broken down by the body. Their water content is also very high. Their seeds contain a special fiber in them which helps in losing weight. They contain really high content of potassium which helps in losing belly fat. Read about diets that promote weight loss.
- Helps control diabetes: Muskmelons help regulate the blood sugar levels thereby helping control diabetes. Read about importance of diabetes diet.
- Low on cholesterol: They are absolutely cholesterol free and hence can be had without any worry.
- Boosts Immunity: Muskmelons are super rich in vitamin C, they strengthen the immune system. They stimulate and increase the white blood cells which help in destroying viruses and bacteria. They also prevent premature ageing of cells. Learn about building immunity.
- Treats Ulcers: The high quantity of vitamin C helps in treatment and also prevention of ulcers.
- Relieves constipation: Musk melon contain a significant amount of dietary fiber, making it good for those suffering from constipation as it add bulk to your diet.
- Prevents kidney stones: An extract of muskmelon called oxykine has proven qualities of curing kidney disorders and stones. It also cleanses the kidneys owing to its high water content.
- Helps during pregnancy: They have high folate content which prevents water retention by removing excess sodium from the body.
- Cures sleeping disorder: Muskmelons relaxes the nerves and the muscles making it easier for people with insomnia to sleep.
- Eases menstrual cramps: Due to its anti- coagulant property it dissolves clots and eases muscle cramps.
- Prevents risk of cancer: The vitamin C eliminates free radicals thereby saving the cells of the body from getting damaged by them, thereby preventing the risk of getting cancer
- Helps in quitting smoking: It rejuvenates the lungs and helps the body recover from nicotine withdrawal faster.
- Prevents heart diseases: The adenosine in muskmelons have blood thinning properties which automatically reduces the risk of heart ailments
- Acts as a stress reliever: Eating muskmelons increases the flow of oxygen to the brain thereby helping in relaxation and focus.
- Cures skin problems: Muskmelon juice aids in treating skin problems and can also be applied as a lotion on skin abrasions to soothe burns and irritation. It also has anti-ageing properties and gives the skin a natural glow.
- Strengthens hair and nails: The vitamin B content in the fruit and the high protein content in the seeds strengthen nails and hair, prevents hair fall and ensures a natural shine on both hair and nails.
- Prevents nausea: Muskmelons are a natural diuretic and upon consumption reduces vomiting sensation.
- Cures tooth ache: The skin of the fruit contains certain extracts which when boiled in water helps in curing tooth ache. Just rinse your mouth with the boiled concoction.
- Helps in treating acidity: Having an almost neutral pH factor, it helps tip the acid-base balance in the body towards neutral.
- Cures UTI: Muskmelons are a prescribed food for treating urinary tract infection and other bladder infection.
- High source of protein: The seeds contain a very high percentage of proteins in them. According to study published in the World Applied Sciences Journal, this nutritional content is same as soy milk and confirms that muskmelon seeds are a great source of protein.
- Helps getting rid of intestinal worms: Studies show that the muskmelons seeds help in expelling the intestinal worms out of the system.
- Keeps the body hydrated: The musk melon is high in water content which keeps your body hydrated in hot summer season. It also provides cooling affect to your body which means it protects you from bad heat affects.
- Relieves congestion: The seeds flush out excess phlegm from the system and provides relief from congestion.
How to include musk melon in diet in healthy way:
- One of the best ways to enjoy a musk melon is diced fresh, just by itself.
- Make a tropical fruit salad with fresh papaya, watermelon and musk melon.
- Mash musk melon with mint into your glass of lemonade, iced tea or chilled water for a burst of fresh fruity flavour.
- Make a fresh salsa with papaya, musk melon, jalapeño and red peppers and use as a topper for your favourite tacos.
- Add a few slices of fresh musk melon to your smoothies. Combine with watermelon, fresh strawberries and low fat yoghurt with handful of tossed nuts for a sweet tropical treat.
You can also dry the seeds and add them to your salads and sandwiches to reap all the health benefits of the muskmelon.
Found that interesting? You might also find these helpful.
12 Reasons why the Jackfruit is super healthy, Healthy fruits that you should eat, 10 Low Calorie snacks found in your kitchen, Healthy hair diet.- Articles, data, text, image or video content posted on this site is checked by the Fitho team of nutritionists & fitness experts, or by research/studies, and opinions are based on our wide experience in helping thousands of people get fit, lose weight & manage their health.