12 Reasons Why the Jackfruit is super healthy!
Originally indigenous to India, Jackfruit is a tropical fruit which is full of nutrients. Such are its health benefits that it has become a widely exported item. Typically the jackfruit needs a humid and hot climate to grow and cannot be grown in countries with colder temperatures. In appearance it is thorny on the outside and fleshy on the inside. One jackfruit can have upto 150 seeds inside their flesh.
The fleshy part (the “bulb”) can be eaten as is, or cut up and cooked. When unripe (green), it is remarkably similar in texture to chicken, making jackfruit an excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. In fact, canned jackfruit (in brine) is sometimes referred to as “vegetable meat”.
The best part of the fruit is that even its seeds have been found to have a high nutritional value.
The Nutrition Breakdown of the Jackfruit per 100gms of serving:
Fat: 0.3 mg
Dietary fiber: 2 g
Protein: 1 g
Potassium: 303 mg
Calcium: 34 mg
Carbohydrate: 24 g
Folate: 14 mcg
Iron: 0.6 mg
Jackfruit contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, zinc and niacin among many other nutrients.
The awesome Jackfruit gives you all of the below health advantages:
- Improves Immunity; Jackfruit contains a high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants which helps boost your immune system and makes it stronger when fighting an infection.
- Replenishes Energy: A 100gm serving of the jackfruit contains 94Kcal and is loaded with good carbohydrates. It instantly gives you an energy boost upon consumption. The sugars in jackfruit are very easy to digest and are really healthy for our body.
- Ensures a better cardiovascular health and a regulated Blood Pressure: A right amount of potassium ensures a balanced regulation of sodium in our body which if left unregulated can cause damage to the arteries and the heart, potassium also coordinates and maintain muscle function including the muscles of the heart, hence it is essential for a perfectly functional system. Jackfruit is rich in potassium and thereby helps in aiding the fitness of our heart and circulatory system.
- Improves Digestion: Jackfruit is rich in two kinds of fibers- soluble and insoluble. It is very important to eat a healthy amount of fibers in your daily meal. The soluble fiber is quickly broken down by our body to produce energy and the insoluble fiber adds bulk to your stool thereby easing up your bowel movement.
- Prevents Cancer: Jackfruit is rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoids. The presence of these antioxidants eliminates the toxins produced by the body as well as the free radicals which are harmful for us. Both toxins and free radicals have been known to cause cancer in the body.
- Enhances Vision: Being rich in vitamin A(Beta-Carotene), jackfruit provides a healthy nutrition for our eyes. It protects the eyes from bacterial and viral infection and also rids them of free radicals which might be harmful. It also saves the eyes from intense and harmful light waves like ultraviolet rays. It helps in improving the eye sight. It is especially effective in preventing degeneration of the retina and reduces the risk of cataract,
- Prevents Ageing: The reason behind ageing is free radicals. These are produced in our body during high oxidative stress caused by pollution. Antioxidant rich jackfruit destroys these free radicals which slows the ageing process down. Read about the foods which are great for skin.
- Strengthens Bones: Jackfruit is loaded with high amounts of calcium which strengthens the bones and potassium which reduces loss of calcium through kidneys. Symptoms of bone related disorders like arthritis; osteoporosis can be managed by consumption of jackfruit. Read more about strengthening your bones.
- Improves Blood Quality: Jackfruit also contains a good amount of iron in it. A proper concentration of iron in our body helps prevents disorders like anaemia. Iron also helps in aiding metabolism. vitamin C, magnesium and copper also help in improving the quality of the blood.
- Prevents/Controls Asthma: Jackfruit helps control the imbalances in the body which result in controlling of the asthmatic attacks. Especially when the symptoms are triggered by the pollution, jackfruit helps control the symptoms by eliminating the free radicals being produced in the body due to the pollution which otherwise lead to asthmatic attacks.
- Ensures a High Functioning Thyroid: Jackfruit being rich in copper which helps in thyroid metabolism especially in hormone production and absorption ensures a healthy and fit thyroid. It also helps people suffering from thyroid disorders.
- Treats skin diseases, Fever: The jackfruit root is a remedy for skin diseases. An extract of the root also cures cases of fever.
Interesting Trivia: Jackfruit is said to be the largest tree-borne fruit in the world, with its diameter being at least 25 cm. on the other extreme, there can be jackfruits measuring as much as 36 kg.
Jackfruit is just like a magical exotic fruit which fills our body with all sorts of awesome healthy nutrients. I am sure after reading what all it can do for your body you are already itching to start gorging on them. Just ensure you include jackfruit in your daily meals for a fitter and healthier body.
Found that interesting? You might also find these helpful.
7 effective lifestyle tips for a healthy heart, Stress management with food, can building muscles help you live longer? , Food nutrition: Myths and Facts.
- Articles, data, text, image or video content posted on this site is checked by the Fitho team of nutritionists & fitness experts, or by research/studies, and opinions are based on our wide experience in helping thousands of people get fit, lose weight & manage their health.