Benefits of Fig
Probably one of the earliest fruits that man has ever known, figs are small and luscious fruits, with a chewy texture and a very sweet smell. Consumed both fresh and dried, figs are available in dramatic shades of colors, like purple, green and brown.
It is said that humans could live on Figs alone as a source of food – such is the goodness and nutrition in the fruit!
Figs are a rich source of calcium, iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and potassium. Figs are low in fat and high in fibre. They provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable.
- Figs lower and control high blood pressure because these are packed with potassium, a mineral that can control hypertension.
- Figs also help people lose weight. A great source of dietary fiber, figs can work wonders for those who want to lose weight. Figs with their high fiber content can help in weight management.
- Figs are also great for post-menopausal women and for those who have breast cancer. Research has shown that women, who consume fiber-rich fruits regularly, reduce their own chances of getting cancer.
- Figs are good for those with diabetes. In some cultures, the leaves of the fig tree are used for its anti-diabetic properties. It is believed that these properties in fig leaves reduce the need for more insulin injections.
- Figs increase bone density. Figs are rich in calcium, a mineral that promotes bone density. The potassium in the fruit also counteracts the loss of urinary calcium, thus, preventing bones from thinning out.
- Figs are good for cardiac health. The leaves of the fig tree are said to lower the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat that are found in the blood stream.
- Figs are also a good source of manganese.
- Very nutritious, figs are rich in benzaldehyde, anti-cancer compound, beta-carotene, potassium and iron. These also have flavonoids and ficin, a digestive enzyme. Figs are also rich in insoluble and soluble fiber.
100 gm of fig dried or fresh contains:
Sugar: 40 g
Fat: 0.93 g
Dietary fiber: 9.8 g
Protein: 3.03 g
Calcium: 162 mg
Iron: 2.03 mg
Health benefits of figs can be attributed to the presence of minerals and vitamins in them. Figs contain vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, sodium, potassium and chlorine.
Health tips for Fig
Three figs, fresh or dried, contain about five grams of fibre. The soluble fibre contained in Figs can help people cut down on snacking because it causes nutrients to be absorbed more slowly, making people feel more satisfied after a meal. However, it should be remembered that Figs are high in calories.
Figs are good for preventing constipation, anemia, digestion and cancer.
Thus, figs are good for health!Benefits of Fig can be healthy for you and may help you lose weight when included in your diet & exercise plan. To help you lose weight in a healthy balanced way and keep it off, see the Fitho weight loss diet plan, designed by dieticians and experts, now available for Rs 799.