Benefits of Custard Apple
Custard Apple or Seethaphal is a tropical fruit tree that grows easily. The flesh is white and creamy with a sugary taste. The fruit is high in calorie content but contains minerals like iron, phosphorous, calcium and riboflavin. A single custard apple contains approximately 237 calories but has a low glycemic index and load.
Nutrition facts and health benefits of Custard apple
Custard apples are a well-balanced food having protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins, energy and little fat.
- Custard apples are packed with vitamin C, an antioxidant that can combat the free radicals in the body.
- The fruit also has vitamin A, which is good for healthy skin, better vision and for healthy hair.
- The magnesium in custard apples can protect the heart from cardiac diseases and can relax the muscles.
- Custard apples are also rich in vitamin B6. It is important that you eat a diet that is rich in Vitamin B6 because a deficiency can cause skin problems, an extremely sore tongue, convulsions, depressions, and depression. The older a person gets the greater the chances of a Vitamin B6 deficiency.
- Custard apples have plenty of dietary fiber, which is good for keeping the digestive tract healthy and aids digestion as well prevents constipation.
- Custard apples have low levels of fat, which is good for health. It is believed that a paste made with the creamy flesh of the fruit can be used as a balm to treat boils, abscesses and ulcer.
- Custard apple is a good source of B complex vitamins, which controls the GABA neuron chemical levels in the brain. This helps to calm down stress, tension, irritability and depression.
- The high amount of magnesium in custard apple equalizes the water balance in the body and removes acids from the joint, reducing the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis. Regular consumption also helps to fight muscle weakness.
- Custard apple is an excellent source of copper. It is a trace mineral which helps the body to form hemoglobin. Pregnant women need 1000 micrograms of copper each day for proper development of the fetus. Low levels of copper in the body can lead to premature birth in the child. Consuming custard apple during pregnancy is very healthy.
Nutritional content of Custard Apple
100 gm of custard apple contains:
Water: 75.0 g
Fat: 0.6 g
Sugar: 15 gm
Dietary fiber: 3.5 g
Carbohydrate: 23.71 gm
Protein: 1 to 4.3 gm
Iron: 0.7 mg
Calcium: 20 mg
Healthy Custard Apple Smoothie Recipe
Preparation: 5 min
1/2 ripe custard apple
1 cup skimmed milk or low fat yogurt
2 teaspoons lime juice
- Articles, data, text, image or video content posted on this site is checked by the Fitho team of nutritionists & fitness experts, or by research/studies, and opinions are based on our wide experience in helping thousands of people get fit, lose weight & manage their health.
- Halve the custard apple, remove the seeds and spoon out the flesh.
- Place the custard apple flesh, milk/curd and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Chill for 30 minutes, give it a stir and then serve.