Exercise Cycle (Stationary Bike)
Stationery Bikes/Exercise bicycle: An exercise bicycle is usually a special-purpose exercise machine resembling a bicycle without true wheels, but it is also possible to adapt an ordinary bicycle for stationary exercise by placing it on bicycle rollers or a trainer. Rollers and trainers are often used by racing cyclists to warm up before racing, or to train on their own machines indoors.
Types of exercise bicycles:
– Recumbent Exercise Bikes:Recumbent Exercise bikes are popular because of the comfort and drive features that it provides. There are various recumbent bikes available in the market that provides high quality components that are durable, with high comfort level and ease of use.
– Upright Exercise Bike:Upright exercise bikes provides the feel of a normal riding bike indoor, they are high on level like a normal cycle.
– Interactive Exercise Bikes: These bikes too are trendy among the exercise bikes. These bikes gives you to do “extra” while you work out to divert you from the fatigue. Interactive bikes links to various activities so that your workouts are more interesting and adventurous for you.
– Elliptical Cross Trainer combined with Exercise Bike: Combination of cross trainer and exercise bikes.
– Some models feature handlebars that are connected to the pedals so that the upper body can be exercised along with the lower body.
– Some models allow the user to pedal backwards to exercise antagonist muscles which are not exercised in forward pedaling. Many bikes now include attached television screens.
– Indoor cycling bikes which are bikes built for riding in indoor cycling classes.
– Mini exercise bikes comprise the pedal and resistance parts only, with no saddle or handlebars; they are intended for taking exercise, not for training for bicycle riding. They can be placed on the floor and pedalled by a user seated on a chair; the pedals can also be turned with the hands for a different form of exercise.
These devices occupy less space than other types and are significantly cheaper; it can be problematic to install them in a way which prevents them from moving out of position when pedalling.
How Much to Spend on exercise cycle
For a decent exercise cycle, plan on spending at least Rs. 15000/- and, for a better than decent Cycle, between Rs. 20000- 50000. There are some so-so models that fall under that price range but, if you buy a cheap exercise cycle, that’s exactly what you’re going to get.Some manual operating cycles are available at Rs.60000/-also. Choosing the right Exercise Cycle will depend on:
1) How much money you have,
2) Any extras you want (programming, heart rate monitor, etc.),
3) What kind of technology you want and
4) How much space you have in your house.
Points to be note before buying exercise cycle
– Check space availability at your home.
– Evaluates your needs
– Estimate your budget
– Check products availability
– Check for the branded dealer
– Don’t buy from the grey market
Consumer Guide: Questions to ask from Exercise Cycle Dealer
- Make of the equipment (Country of manufacturing)
Most of the equipments either made locally in India or in China although they have US or European premium brands. We suggest you to pay price accordingly to make not as per brand.
- If products are assembled in India or China or some other country check for motor’s manufacturing country. Motor is the life of all cardio equipments.
We suggest either go for European make or for US make.
- Ask for the maximum weight limit of machine (Maximum weight machine can wear).
Don’t go for cheaper equipments just because you are saving money.
We suggest you to check the maximum weight machine can wear, almost machine have a maximum weight limit & this depends life and performance of machine.
- Get information about Guarantee /warranty policy.
Our suggestion is go for comprehensive onsite warranty. Because if it’s not onsite then not feasible most of the time to carry equipment to the dealer’s place or to service station.
- Check who is responsible for warranty its dealer or company.
If company is responsible then get information about company service station availability and read the terms and condition very carefully written on Guarantee /warranty policy.
- Get information about Annual maintenance contract.
Our suggestion is go for comprehensive onsite Annual maintenance contract. Because if it’s not onsite then not feasible most of the time to carry equipment to the dealer’s place or to service station.
If Annual maintenance contract is not available then don’t buy products, every machine required regular servicing and technical checkups for better lifetime and for better performance.
Check Annual maintenance contract prices then compare it with other options available, because sometime charges of AMC makes a machine costlier after few years even if it is cheaper now.