The Cabbage Soup Diet is a 7 day meal plan, aimed at achieving fast weight loss. It is not a long-term weight loss solution, but is known to be effective over the short term. It is literary a cabbage diet where one is put on the cabbage soup diet for all the meals. The bright side is that dieters are also allowed to have certain foods, such as tomatoes, meats, vegetables and skim milk, depending on the day of the week.
It is primarily based on the claims that the cabbages have special fat-burning abilities, though not yet scientifically proven. There have been many different versions of this diet but the traditional cabbage soup diet allows you to eat as much cabbage as you want.
Basing on a simple 7-day diet, the cabbage soup diet is very restrictive. It is a low-fat, high-fiber, low-calorie diet, directed towards rapid weight loss.
The primary foods allowed throughout the cabbage soup diet include large quantities of cabbage soup (as much as possible, at least once a day), vegetables, fruit, and beef, but not all of these together, distributed day to day. Alcohol is particularly not allowed, only water and unsweetened fruit juices when suitable.
Drawback of the Cabbage Soup Diet
- A bit bland and boring, this makes cravings tough to ignore
- It also cuts out a good amount of nutrients along with those calories
- And while it does produce quick weight loss, much of this is water loss, not the more beneficial loss of fat. This means dieters will likely gain back a lot of the weight after they return to their normal eating routines
- Cabbage soup is hard on the digestive system and this causes the unavoidable flatulence/ gas
- Cabbage soup diet causes dizziness and headaches in many as it lacks proteins and has low carbohydrates which may lead to such problems
- Cabbage soup is very good for flushing out your body system. It works as a detoxifier, but overconsumption can lead to considerable loss of water from the body, and may also lead to diarrhoea
Review of the Cabbage Soup Diet
The extremely restrictive nature of the diet makes entire food groups off-limits on certain days. The major problem is that constructing an entire diet around a soup results in a calorie-restrictive and nutritionally-unbalanced plan.” So instead of loosing fat and water. The cabbage soup diet attacks the muscles and you end up losing precious muscle tissue.
Cabbage soup diet might also make dieters feel low energy levels throughout the diet due to the restricted amount of calories. Also, unlimited cabbage may not sound unappealing, especially to those who basically do not like cabbages..
Note: Fitho does not endorse this diet.- Articles, data, text, image or video content posted on this site is checked by the Fitho team of nutritionists & fitness experts, or by research/studies, and opinions are based on our wide experience in helping thousands of people get fit, lose weight & manage their health.