“The most popular diet program” by Dr. Robert Atkins who first wrote about the Atkins diet in the 1970s. Atkins diet is Known to be inspired by our ancestral way of living where the main source of food were meat, nuts and seeds for many years. Atkins diet is also a low carbohydrate diet that increases metabolism by burning carbohydrate instead of fat to release energy. The only carbohydrates permitted during this phase are green, non-starchy vegetables. Atkins also works on the principle of ketosis by reducing carbs which forces the body to burn fat. Also, as carbohydrate is restricted in Atkins diet body forms less insulin and therefore create less new fat.”
Atkins Diet has four phases – all with a controlled level of carbohydrate intake.
Phase 1- Induction phase: A minimum of two weeks with a maximum of 20 grams of carbohydrate intake (no starchy vegetables, fruits, grains, bread). Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If extended, dieter can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda. This leads to 15 pound weight loss for first 2 weeks.
Phase 2 -Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) phase: This phase of Atkins involves adding more fibrous vegetables (carbohydrates) until the “Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing” is reached. This is done by gradually up carbohydrate intake, starting with 25 grams by increasing small portion of nuts and seeds.
Phase 3- Pre- Maintenance: Atkins diet’s stage where carbohydrate intake can be increased – but only until the point that weight is maintained. Aim is to not only to lose the last 10 Pounds—slowly but to keep it off—from now on.
Phase 4- Lifetime Maintenance: This phase indicate to maintain your new healthy habits—both in what you’re eating and physical activity—and your new body and new mindset will be yours, not just for today or tomorrow—but for good.
Drawback of Atkins Diet
- Atkins diet is a high-fat diet with more than 30% fat in diet and High saturated fat content.
- Promotion of their own line of processed meals and snacks.
- Potential for digestive problems such as nausea, constipation, and dehydration.
- Headaches, possibility of not being able to concentrate due to low carbohydrate intake.
- Recommendations for preventing colorectal cancer include a diet rich in whole grain which are not part of the early stages of Atkins diet.
- Another disadvantage of Atkins diet relies heavily upon proteins from meat, fish and dairy products. Such high levels of protein and fat are potentially dangerous upon vital organs such as the heart and the kidneys.
Review of Atkins Diet
Atkins diet is demanding specially during the first and second stage. Dieters would be required to make significant behaviour modification which cannot be followed for a long time. Very high recommendation of protein and saturated fat can overload the kidney and forms a acidic environment leading to bone loss (calcium carbonate) to neutralize the blood pH..
Note: Fitho does not endorse this diet.Atkins Diet can be healthy for you and may help you lose weight when included in your diet & exercise plan. To help you lose weight in a healthy balanced way and keep it off, see the Fitho weight loss diet plan, designed by dieticians and experts, now available for Rs 799.