10 Gym Safety Weight Lifting Guidelines
Resistance training is best and fastest way to build lean, toned muscles and reduce body fat. It has also been shown to increase bone strength, something older people and middle aged women (at the risk of osteoporosis), in particular, can benefit from. Yes, resistance training is for women and older people also. Besides increasing bone strength, it helps to build muscle that protects the bone from injury.
If there is one downside to resistance training, it’s the risk of injury from unsafe resistance training. Whether you use machines to do resistance training, or body weight exercises like the Push-ups, Squats, or free weights like dumbbells, barbells or kettle bells, it’s important to follow safety guidelines, to reduce the risk of injury. So, we have a list of weightlifting safety guidelines, safety tips and some gym etiquette. Some of these suggestions are provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians, and others we’ve added from our experience.
- Always warm up before lifting with some light cardio and easy sets.
- Always stretch after your workout.
- Wear shoes with good traction to prevent against slipping
- Use a spotter when performing any major lifts, especially pressing exercises that place the weight above you
- Find a trainer or workout coach to assist you in learning how to perform each exercise properly.
- Set realistic goals for yourself based on your age, gender, physical strength and maturity. Consult a fitness expert.
- First master form, then the weight- For any new exercise, go for a light weight, to ensure you master the form, to reduce risk of injury. Once you master the correct form, you can lift the weights better, and more weight (most guys are guilty of this)
- Ensure people are a safe distance away while making lifting movements
- Don’t drop weights violently. They damage equipment and they might bounce and hit someone around.
- Don’t stand too close to anyone that’s working out. It restricts their movement and can cause injury.
- Last but not the least, wear deodorant. Bad smells aren’t motivating for anyone!
So, hit the gym, get fit and be injury free!Author Information Hope you enjoyed reading, 10 Gym Safety Weight Lifting Guidelines. Show us your love with 'like', Tweet, or tell us in the comments. Lose up to 4 kg in 4 weeks, with the Fitho weight loss diet.